East Neighbourhood Forum online event on Ukraine’s EU Accession prospects2022-06-21 | Events, EU integration
21 June 2022, Brussels
The European Council met on 23-24 June 2022 to take into account the European Commission’s opinion on Ukraine’s EU membership application, which was announced on 17 June 2022, and to decide on the granting to Ukraine of the EU candidate status. The European Parliament in its resolution adopted on 1 March 2022 has called upon the EU institutions to work towards granting EU candidate status to Ukraine, in line with Article 49 of the Treaty on European Union and on the basis of merit. In the meantime, the Parliament invited to continue to work towards Ukraine’s integration into the EU single market along the lines of the Association Agreement.
The panelists discussed the timetable and the next steps to be taken in pursuing further Ukraine’s European path towards the EU membership within a reasonable time perspective. One of the key questions was how to avoid the risks of dragging the process to an impasse as we have been observing in the Western Balkans regions for nearly 20 years. What lessons the EU has to learn in order to use fully its geopolitical potential and to keep the momentum of achieving the project of Europe whole, free and at peace? In this context, what decisions should be taken to respond to the pace of reforms in other EU applicant countries and to the aspirations of Moldovans and Georgians, as well as the countries the Western Balkans, who seek a brighter future within the European family?
Mr Andrius Kubilius, Member of the European Parliament, EPP
Presentation of the European Commission’s Opinions:
Ms Katarina Mathernova, Deputy Director-General, DG NEAR
- Ms Olha Stefanishyna, Deputy Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration
- Ms Ivanna Klympush-Tsintsadze, Chair of the Parliamentary Committee on Integration of Ukraine to the EU
- Mr Gerald Knaus, Chairman, European Stability Initiative
- Mr Michael Emerson, Associate Senior Research Fellow, CEPS
- Mr Witold Waszczykowski, Chair of the Delegation to the EU-Ukraine Parliamentary Association Committee
- Ms Marina Kaljurand, Chair of the Delegation to the EU-Georgia Parliamentary Association Committee
MEPs and Members of the U4U network
The event was recorded. You may watch the recording here: https://fb.watch/gql_sMyq1W/