U4U, NGO Ukrainian Prism Europe and SCEES discussion “Prospects for European Defense Industries against the Backdrop of the Russian War in Ukraine”2023-03-03 | Events, Expert publications, Political initiatives, Weapon delivery
On 6 March the United for Ukraine Network, NGO Ukrainian Prism Europe, Stockholm Center for Eastern European Studies organized a discussion “Prospects for European Defense Industries against the Backdrop of the Russian War in Ukraine”. The event took place at 13:00 in the premises of European Parliament (room A5E-3).
The discussion was devoted to the prospects of the enhanced defense cooperation with the third states and partners under the existing EU defense programs. The special focus was on the ways for forging joint defense projects of EU member states with Ukraine.
Representatives of European institutions, namely the EP, as well as from the EU member states and experts from Ukrainian state agencies and independent think tanks took part.
Watch the recording of the discussion here.
Prospects for European Defense Industries
against the Backdrop of the Russian War in Ukraine
6 March 2023
13:00 – 13:15 – Opening remarks:
- Andrius KUBILIUS, Member of the European Parliament, Coordinator of the United for Ukraine Network
- Vsevolod CHENTSOV, Head of the Mission of Ukraine to the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community (tbc)
13:15 – 14:00 Expert panel:
Moderator: Fredrik WESSLAU, Stockholm Center for Eastern European Studies, Deputy Head of Mission for the European Union’s Advisory Mission in Ukraine (2018-2022)
- HennadiyMAKSAK, Executive Director, Foreign Policy Council “Ukrainian Prism”
- Urmas REINSALU, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia (online)
- Viola VON CRAMON-TAUBADEL, Vice-Chair, Delegation to the EU-Ukraine Parliamentary Association Committee (tbc)
- Nico LANGE, Senior Fellow of the Zeitenwende Initiative of the Munich Security Conference
- Yuriy Gusiev, CEO of Ukroboronprom (state-owned strategic manufacturer of weapons and military hardware in Ukraine) (online)
- Katarzyna ANANICZ, Permanent Representeation of Poland to the EU, Head of Common Security and Defence Policy Section
14:00 – 14:30 – Discussion
- How has the Russian war against Ukraine affected European defense?
- Swedish Presidency priorities for defense and security
- Ukraine as a partner in building a comprehensive defense framework for the EU
- What instruments in European defense industries are applicable to third countries?
- Is the European Parliament capable of generating political will for the transformation of policies for European defense industries?
Organizers: Ukrainian Prism Europe, Stockholm Center for Eastern European Studies, U4U Network